Tuesday 13 July 2010

Sketch-up part 2

Whilst well and truly still in the planning stages, I'd thought I'd knock up some CAD drawings to help me visualise what it is I want the tank to look like.



As you can see, I haven't yet decided what I want the turret to look like. Who knows, I may decide I just want lots of little buggies. That's allowed, right?
I'm thinking that it is a bit tall for a tank. Modern tanks (e.g. Abrams) are about 8 feet high, where as this is 12 feet to scale already, not including turret. I may reduce the size of the upper chassis from 15mm to 8-9mm, reduce the wheels and the lower chassis, and make any turret wide and flat. It will still be larger than a modern tank but that's the future for you.

I've thought about how I will cast it. Rather than have a 2-piece mould and all the problems that come with it, I'm thinking about doing two 1-piece moulds and pinning the castings together. The top half of the chassis will be one, the bottom the other. The front guards and wheels I can sort out afterwards:


This leaves the issue of how I want the turret to look like. I may need to be a bit creative with it if I only want to use 1-piece moulds.

No comments:

Post a Comment